Todai & Society
|The University Hospitals have contributed to the progress of medicine through clinical research and the education of medical students. They have provided people from all over the country with advanced medical care. Until 2000, there were three hospitals in The University of Tokyo with 1,409 beds. In 2001, the University Branch Hospital was merged with the University (Main) Hospital to innovate the New University Hospital with 1,193 beds.In 2006, the number of beds were increased to 1,210.
UNIVERSITY HOSPITALThe University Hospital, affiliated with The University of Tokyo, was originally established in May 1858, as the Kanda Otamagaike Vaccination Center. Later it went through six name changes before becoming newly established in November 1876, as part of Tokyo Medical School and relocating in Hongo.
In April 1877, Tokyo Kaisei School and Tokyo Medical School merged to form The University of Tokyo, and the latter's hospital became the University Hospital attached to The University of Tokyo's Faculty of Medicine. It went through another name change in 1886, only to assume its present name again in October 1947.
The Examination and Consultation Section is formed of 37 departments, 22 Central Clinical Facilities, Pharmaceutical Services, a Nursing Department, and an Administration Office. The hospital had a total of 1,810 employees, as of May 2006.
Furthermore, the hospital has 1,210 beds authorized by government. In 2005, a total of 763,672 outpatients and 388,027 inpatients underwent treatment in the hospital. Since April 1995, the University Hospital has had the capacities of a special function hospital and has been working to promote advanced medical treatment. Moreover, it has been proceeding with major reforms aimed both at the 21st century and contributing to medical treatment worldwide. Under those goals, the hospital opened a new Outpatient Wing in July 1994, a new Inpatient Wing in September 2001. and a new Central Clinical Wing in September 2006. In April 1998, the University Hospital was restructured and 23 departments were redivided into 37 departments and 6 sections.
RESEARCH HOSPITAL (INSTITUTE OF MEDICAL SCIENCE)The Hospital of the Institute of Medical Science (IMSUT) was founded in 1894 as a unit of the Institute for Infectious Diseases to serve as a bridge between basic research and the patients suffering from contagious diseases. When the Institute for Infectious diseases was reorganized as IMSUT in 1967, it was confirmed that the Hospital should continue to function as a research hospital (the Research Hospital). With 135 beds as well as affiliated (outpatient / clinical) service units, the Research Hospital focuses on cancers and infectious diseases such as HIV/AIDS. The Research Hospital, functioning closely with the Advanced Clinical Research Center, aims to translate the research outcomes of the Human Genome Center, the Center for Experimental Medicine and the departments for basic medical sciences at IMSUT. The Research Hospital also cooperates with outside research institutes, servicing as a translational research center on cellular and molecular therapeutic modalities.