1. About the Program
a) Program Description
The objective of the program is to provide undergraduate students from different countries (including some from Japan) who are committed to or who are considering a career in biology or related sciences and looking to continue to graduate studies, with eight weeks of biomedical research experience in the basic and translational sciences. Research experiences are being provided by faculty members of the Graduate School of Science, Graduate School of Engineering, Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Graduate School of Agricultural and Life Sciences, and the Institute of Industrial Science. By the end of their summer experience, students are expected to acquire knowledge and skills for conducting research. The students are also expected to extend their international friendship through the collaborative experiences. These experiences will help the students to develop future collaborations in many situations.
In addition to working full time in the laboratory for 8 weeks, the program features:
- Visits to Graduate Schools and Institutes related to biomedical research
- Information sessions on how to apply to Graduate Schools at UTokyo
- Special seminars and luncheons where students can meet and have discussions
- Access to UTokyo campus facilities such as the Library, Health Care Center and Gymnasium
- Japanese culture seminars and language classes
|UTokyo Amgen Scholars Program 2017||13 June, 2017 - 10 August, 2017|
|Amgen Scholars Symposium in Japan||9 - 10 August, 2017|
UTokyo Amgen Scholars Program applicants must be undergraduate students who are:
- Enrolled in colleges or universities worldwide that award a bachelor’s degree (or its equivalent); and
- At the minimum, have completed their first year of undergraduate study at the time the summer program begins, and
- Are not graduating before the summer program begins, and after the summer program ends will resume undergraduate studies for at least 1 semester or 1 quarter
UTokyo Amgen Scholars Program applicants must also:
- Have a strong record of academic performance; and
- Have good working knowledge of English, demonstrated by a minimum TOEFL (iBT) score of 72, IELTS overall band score of 5.5, Cambridge English FCE, TOEIC score of 1095, TOEIC L&R score of 785, or TOEIC S&W score of 310, if not a native English speaker or English is not your first language, and
- Have an interest in pursuing a Ph.D.
- To devote full effort in participation in the Amgen Scholars Program. Scholars cannot take any courses or hold a job throughout the duration of the program. In addition, all participants must be able to attend the program for its entire duration.
- To live in the accommodation provided by UTokyo.
- To participate fully in the day-to-day life of the research group, respect the work of all members of the laboratory, and attend and participate in laboratory meetings or other gatherings.
- To attend the orientation on June 13, all required conferences, activities and social events.
- To give a poster/presentation describing his/her summer research project.
- To submit a research paper to the UTokyo Amgen Scholars Program Director at the conclusion of the program.
e) Host Labs and Project Topics
(Host Labs and Project Topics for the 2018 Program will be announced in late October.)
f) Number of participants
About 20 students
g) Financial Support
- ROOM: Near-campus accommodation
| Amount varies depending on the location of the university / college
that you currently belong to
|Amount of Stipend|
|Asia / Oceania||450,000 JPY|
|Europe / North, Central and South America||500,000 JPY|
|Africa / Middle East||600,000 JPY|
during your stay in Japan and so on.
Be sure that the file size of each document does not exceed 2MB.
Online Application >>> T-cens SP >>> CLOSED
1. Portrait photo
Please upload your portrait photo saved as a jpeg file. Note that your full face should be visible in the photo, and it should be taken from the front with your eyes open. Please note that the photo should be taken using a proper camera (not a selfie) as it will be used for your student ID card once you are accepted as an Amgen Scholar. (Same rules as photos for a passport, 45 x 35mm)
Please scan the page with the photo and name of applicant and save as a jpeg file.
3. Resume/CV and Cover letter
Download and complete the designated form below. Please save your documents as a Word file (e.g. .doc/docx).
4. Academic Transcript
Please obtain an official academic transcript (in English) and scan and save both the front and back pages as a PDF file.
Download and complete the designated form below. Please save your documents as an Excel file (e.g. .xls/xlsx).
6. Proof of your English proficiency test score
Non-native English speakers who have been receiving undergraduate education from the institution whose language of instruction is English are not required to submit test scores.
Please scan and save as a pdf file.
7. Letter of Reference
In the T-cens SP (online application system), you are required to nominate two people to provide letters of reference, one of who must be a faculty member currently involved in teaching one of the courses you are taking.
Please make sure to notify the people you nominate and receive their consent before you enter their details in T-cens SP. This will ensure that the e-mail is not overlooked. Please also ensure that you submit your application allowing sufficient time for the persons nominated to be able to upload their letters of reference onto T-cens SP on or before Wednesday, February 1, 2017 at 15:00 pm JST (Japan Standard Time [UTC + 9:00hrs.]).
There is no specific format for the letter of reference, but it should be on departmental/university letterhead, including the referee’s signature. It should then be scanned and submitted as a PDF file.
* Please note that the Letter of Reference must state your Applicant Number, which appears under your photo when you create your T-cens SP account.
* Please be aware that your application will not be considered unless all the required documents, including the Letter(s) of Reference, are received by the application deadline.
<Complete the Online Application>
Online Application >>> T-cens SP >>> CLOSED
Note: Tablets and mobile phones using Android or iOS systems are not to be used with T-cens SP
Recommended environment for use of T-cens SP (as of November 16, 2015)
• Windows 7
Firefox (latest version)
Google Chrome (latest version)
Internet Explorer 11
• Mac OS X v10.9 Mavericks
Safari (latest version)
Cautionary notes to work smoothly with T-cens SP
1. Using the compatibility view function of Internet Explorer (IE) when accessing T-cens SP may result in unintended changes in site design or
information being displayed incorrectly. To ensure that all the data is properly displayed, please use one of the browsers indicated above.
2. If you have multiple tabs opened on your browser when using T-cens SP, it is possible that problems such as making changes to information
in one tab may cause changes or delete information in another tab. Please refrain from using multiple tabs when using T-cens SP.
3. Please use only the English alphabet and numbers. Special characters including umlauts, acute accents and so on (~ * & ^ # $ % @ / \ : ; etc.)
should not be entered. These characters may be replaced with unreadable text.
Click on "Create a New Account" first to make your own account and get your application number!
1. Personal Information
- "Form 1" and "Form 2": Please fill in accordingly. Fields with asterisks (*) must be completed.
- "Form 3": You are required to complete the form. Click HERE for more information.
- "Form 4": Please fill in accordingly.
- "FileUpload": Upload your supporting materials:
- Passport (jpeg file)
2. Program Selection
- "Form 1": How to complete the form >>> click HERE
- "Form 2": Please skip "Form 2"
- "Form 3": Please read 7. Letter of Reference in <Supporting Documents> and and the Procedure and Notes on the form carefully and then fill in the form.
- "FileUpload": Upload your supporting materials:
- Resume_CV_Coverletter_UTokyo2017 (Word file)
- Academic_Transcript (PDF file)
- Questionnaire_UTokyo2017 (Excel file)
- Proof of your English proficiency test score (See 6. Proof of your English proficiency test score in <Supporting Documents>)
1st Feb, 2017 (15:00 Japan Standard Time=UTC+9:00)
APPLICANTS WILL BE NOTIFIED OF THE SELICTION RESULTS AROUND THE MIDDLE OF MARCH 2017.
About the Program
- Q. Would the Program be flexible on the starting/ending dates to accommodate some slight conflict of schedule?
- A. No. The 8-week program schedule - from 13 June to 10 August 2017 - is fixed, and full participation is required.
- Q. Are the decisions made continuously until the deadline (i.e. rolling admissions) or after the deadline all together?
- A. Our admission is not on a rolling basis, and the selection begins after the deadline 1st Feb, 2017 (15:00 Japan Standard Time=UTC+9:00).
- Q. I'm not a native English speaker, but currently attending a university whose language of instruction is English. Do I need to submit scores to prove my English proficiency?
- A. No. Non-native English speakers who have been receiving undergraduate education from an institution whose language of instruction is English do not need to submit test scores. All requirements are based on your undergraduate education regardless of any prior education (e.g. high school).
- Q. Do I need to upload both the foreign language and English translations of my transcripts?
- A. Yes. Transcripts that are in a language other than English should be translated into English. The translation must be provided by the university.
- Q. Is an unofficial transcript acceptable, or should I submit an official transcript (that is, printed and signed by the university registrar)?
- A. No, transcripts must be the official version from the university and provided in English if the original language is not English
- Q. My university uses an electronic academic transcripts service, which issues official online transcripts as a substitute for paper ones. Would it be acceptable for me to attach this transcript to my application?
- A. Yes. Please upload its PDF format to your application page.
- Q. Do you require that reference letter(s) be written on a specific form?
- A. No. There is no set format. The only requirements are that the letter be issued by a faculty member of your current institution and be composed on the school's letterhead.
- Q. Aside from the stipend and accommodation, would the program provide travel expenses to and from Tokyo?
- A. No. Our stipend is inclusive of travel expenses. Successful applicants need to arrange and purchase their own flights.
- Q. When will my stipend be paid?
- A. After your successful admission to the Program, we will directly deposit your stipend into your bank account.
|The University of Tokyo||http://www.u-tokyo.ac.jp/en/index.html|
|Kyoto University (Amgen Scholars website)||http://amgenscholars.com/japan-program/university/kyoto-university|
The University of Tokyo
7-3-1, Hongo, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-0033 JAPAN
UTokyo would like to express its appreciation to the Amgen Foundation for the general support provided for this program.