Information about available scholarships
- Honors Scholarship for Privately Financed International Students (Japan Student Services Organization)
Japan Student Services Organization (JASSO) offers honors scholarships for privately financed international students who attend a university or graduate school in Japan, are of good character, have a good academic record, and require financial assistance to continue their studies as an international student.
international students who have the “College Student” status and meet the following requirements:
- Undergraduate level: privately financed international students enrolled as a regular student in a university undergraduate school
- Postgraduate level: privately financed international students enrolled as a regular student or a research student in a university graduate school
*This scholarship is not available to Japanese Government scholarship students or foreign state-sponsored students.
- Undergraduate level: \48,000/month
- Postgraduate level: \65,000/month
JASSO will announce scholarships through educational institutions such as universities around April each year.
recommendations may be made through universities to JASSO by early June. Notification: after the screening process by the Selection Committee, successful candidates will be notified through universities around early July.
scholarship payments will be made every month after the confirmation of a grantee’s continued enrollment.
Eligibility: privately financed international students (excluding foreign state-sponsored students) who:
- are of good character and have good academic records,
- are enrolled as regular students or research students in a postgraduate course at one of The University of Tokyo graduate schools,
- require assistance with school expenses and do not receive other scholarships for the duration of this fellowship,(over \50,000)
- have the status of “College Student” , and
- do not have a spouse who is a scholarship student financed by the Japanese Government (Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology) for the duration of the fellowship.
* Scholarship amount: \50,000/month
For details, please refer to http://www.u-tokyo.ac.jp/res03/i27_j.html.
Approximately 80 private organizations offer scholarships to privately financed international students. There are 2 application methods – recommendation by a university, and individual application. Although some organizations may start application invitations around October, the invitation process is carried out from January to April with most scholarship programs.
Scholarship that you can apply directly to the Foundation
Scholarships that you should apply through the Univ. of Tokyo
Public Corporation and Other Scholarships for International Students Before Coming to Japan
Please direct all inquiries to:
Office of International Students at your department, or the International Students and Researchers Support Group