Applying to Visit
(1) In general, the University asks that groups wishing to tour the Campus submit a “Group Tour Registration” form at least one week prior to their desired date of visit. Small groups (such as families) and individuals do not need to submit this form. Groups may freely walk around the Campus upon reading the rules listed below. If submitting the form, be sure that your email address is entered correctly as the University will send an automatic reply acknowledging receipt of the form. Also, please understand that due to University events and other circumstances, you may be suddenly asked to refrain from visiting even after registration.
Inquiries: Send a message to the contact for Hongo Campus visitation
(for questions regarding campus visitation only)
* For information on campus tours guided by University of Tokyo students, see the website below. Please be aware that the application methods for Group Visits and Campus Tours are separate and different.
|University of Tokyo Campus Tour Website|
(2) If visiting as a school event (field trip, etc.), the person at the school in charge of leading the group should be the one to apply.
(3) Applications and inquiries made through travel agencies or other for-profit businesses will not be accepted. The person in charge of the group intending to visit should be the one to contact the University.
(4) Permission to visit includes entrance into the University Museum, the Museum of Health and Medicine, the Information Center and the University of Tokyo Communication Center, as well as walking around within the Campus.
* If your group would like to visit the interiors of other on-campus facilities, please contact the office in charge of each facility directly.
(5) The University operates a nationwide entity called the Consortium Promoting Organization of the Consortium for Renovating Education of the Future (CoREF), which aims to spread and promote active use of the knowledge provided by universities. Please also look at the Resources of the University of Tokyo page within this site, which features information regarding traveling classes and other excursions for elementary, junior high and high school students.
* Please be aware that the contact for inquiries regarding CoREF programs is different from the one for the Campus Visitation.
Rules for Visiting
(2) As there will be classes, research and other activities are being conducted on campus, please be quiet during your visit. If you do not comply with this provision, you may be asked to leave the Campus, or subsequent requests for visits to the University may be rejected.
(3) In general, you may not enter the University’s buildings with the exception of the Museum of Health and Medicine, the Information Center and the University of Tokyo Communication Center (UTCC).
(4) You will not receive any guided tours by University students, faculty members or staff during your visit. Also, you are not allowed to gather information/pictures/video for journalistic purposes. If you would like a campus map or other informational materials, please visit the Information Center.
(5) Do not throw away your trash while on campus. Please bring trash accumulated during your visit with you when you leave.
(6) No parking lots are available for visitors, so you are advised to use public transportation. Note that no inquiries about the entry, temporary stopping or parking of large buses or other vehicles will be accepted.
(7) You may use the cafeterias and restaurants on campus except during the peak lunch hour (11:30-13:30). For cafeteria details including operating hours, please see their website here: https://www.utcoop.or.jp/shop/hongo/.
(8) The University is not responsible for accidents, etc. incurred while visiting.
(9) Smoking is prohibited throughout the University.
(10) The General Library and the University Museum are available for viewing by reservation only. Please see the General Library's website or the University Museum's website to make a reservation.
(11) Please note that campus entry is prohibited on entrance examination days.
(1) For visiting the facilities listed below, please contact them directly.
* Those who want to visit these facilities should confirm their hours and days of operation in advance.
Museum of Health and Medicine (***Currently closed***)
(Operating hours: 10:00-17:00; last admission at 16:30. Closed on Wednesdays)
Information Center ***Currently closed as of 2021/12/13. A notice will be posted on the website when a reopening date has been decided.***
(Operating hours: 10:00-16:00; generally closed on Saturdays, Sundays and holidays)
The University of Tokyo Communication Center
(Operating hours: 11:00-16:00; generally closed on Wednesdays, Sundays and holidays)
UTokyo Co-op Cafeteria “Chuo Shokudo (Central Cafeteria)”
(Operating hours: 11:00-19:30 on weekdays; closed on Saturdays, Sundays and holidays)
UTokyo Co-op Store 2
(Operating hours: 11:00-17:00 on weekdays; closed on Saturdays, Sundays and holidays)
* The store may close temporarily regardless of the operating hours above.
(2) Hongo Campus Maps
Hongo Campus Map (PDF; use when looking for particular buildings/facilities)
Map of Hongo Campus Restaurants (PDF) (Please contact each store/restaurant to confirm operating hours and other related information.)
Hongo Campus Access Map (PDF)
(3) Opening hours of Gates * Hours in parentheses indicate the opening hours of gate-side doors
|Weekdays||Sat, Sun, Holidays|
|Main Gate / Yayoi Gate||7:00～18:00 [7:00～24:30]||Closed [7:00～24:30]|
|Ito International Research Center Gate (provisional name)||7:00～22:00||7:00～22:00|
|Ikenohata Gate||7:00～22:00 [6:00～24:30]||Closed [6:00～24:30]|
|Nouseimon Gate||7:00～24:30 [6:00～24:30]||7:00～21:00 [6:00～24:30]|
|Tatsuoka Gate||Always open|
Notes:Those who want to visit the Komaba Campus are asked to contact the College of Arts and Sciences at koho-jyoho.c AT gs.mail.u-tokyo.ac.jp (PR/Information Planning Group of the College of Arts and Sciences)
* The above contact information is NOT for the Hongo Campus.