Student Commuter Certificates (Necessary for Purchasing Student Commuter Passes)
A Student Commuter Certificate is required when purchasing a Commuter Pass between the train station/bus stop closest to your residence and the station or stop nearest to the campus of your Faculty or Graduate School. This certificate can be obtained from the administrative office of your Faculty/Graduate School.
If you want to be issued a Commuter Pass for a different route, a separate certificate validating the route between your home and campus will be required, so please consult with the administrative office of your Faculty/Graduate School regarding this matter.
Student Travel Discount Certificates
Student Travel Discount Certificates can be obtained from the administrative office of your Faculty/Graduate School as well as from automatic certificate machines. Please think carefully about the timing of your trip when you go to obtain this certificate, as it is valid for three months and allows the purchase of one round-trip transportation ticket. When using a Student Travel Discount Certificate to buy tickets, be sure to bring your Student ID and show it when necessary.
Student Group Travel Discounts
The Student Group Travel Discount is available to groups comprising at least one University of Tokyo academic staff member and at least eight University of Tokyo students.
Groups that wish to receive the discount need to submit the necessary documents to the International Student Support Group's Student Life Team and receive approval at least fourteen days before the departure date (the approval process takes several days to complete).
The following four documents are required for application:
1. Group travel application form (obtain from the train station, travel center, etc. and submit in triplicate or with two photocopies)
2. Form for requesting the President's approval of the discount application
3. List of everyone traveling in the group (including Student IDs)
4. Simple description of the travel plan (no specific format)
Following approval, the group travel application form will be stamped and returned to your group. Return this form to the train station, travel center, etc. to receive the discount when you purchase your tickets. Students whose group travel is related to club events, etc. should also submit an Extracurricular Activities Form.
|Student Group Travel Discount Rates|
|Academic staff member||30%||30%||20%|
Discounts at Selected Museums
Contact: Student Life Team, Student Support Group, Student Support Center Floor B1. Phone: 03-5841-2514
The University of Tokyo has partnered with the National Museum of Nature and Science, Tokyo National Museum and the National Museums of Art to offer students (including research students and auditing students) the following discount services:
- Students and academic staff members who show their University IDs can view exhibitions at the National Museum of Nature and Science, Tokyo National Museum, and the National Museums of Art at a free or discounted rate.
- Priority placement and discounts on fees for seminars, museum job training (National Museum of Nature and Science), and lectures on museum studies (Tokyo National Museum)
- Use of museum facilities at special rates
For more information, please check each museum’s website or contact the Student Support Group’s Student Life Team. You can also pick up leaflets about the museums’ current exhibits and other information in the Student Lounge of the Student Support Center.
National Museum of Nature and Science
5 minutes’ walk from the Park Exit of JR Ueno Station
* Regular Exhibitions Students – free
* Special Exhibitions Students – 600 yen discount
Tokyo National Museum
10 minutes’ walk from Uguisudani Station or the Park Exit of JR Ueno Station
* Regular Exhibitions Students and academic staff members – free
* Special Exhibitions Students – 200 yen discount
National Museums of Art (5 Museums)
http://www.artmuseums.go.jp/ (Japanese only)
- Permanent Exhibitions Students, academic staff and regular staff members – free
- Special Exhibitions Students, academic staff and regular staff members – 200-300 yen discount
The National Museum of Modern Art, Tokyo
Art Museum and Crafts Gallery: 3-8 minutes’ walk from Exit 1b of Takebashi Station on the Tokyo Metro Tozai Line
National Film Center: 1 minute walk from Exit 1 of Kyobashi Station on the Tokyo Metro Ginza Line
The National Museum of Western Art
1 minute walk from the Park Exit of JR Ueno Station
The National Art Center, Tokyo
Connected to Exit 6 of Nogizaka Station on the Tokyo Metro Chiyoda Line; 5 minutes’ walk from Exit 4a of Roppongi Station
The National Museum of Modern Art, Kyoto
At the bus stop “Kyoto Kaikan Bijutsu Kaikan-mae” on the route of City Bus 5 bound for Iwakura, which can be boarded at the A1 Boarding Area in front of JR/Kintetsu Kyoto Station
The National Museum of Art, Osaka
10 minutes’ walk west from Exit #3 of Higobashi Station on the Yotsubashi Subway Line
For questions, etc. please contact:
Student Life Team, Student Support Group
Email: gakuseiseikatsu AT ml.adm.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Office: Student Support Center (floor B1)