Marquis Toshinari Maeda, the 16th head of the Maeda Clan of the Kaga Domain, built a stately Western residence in the neo-baroque style in 1907 for receiving imperial visits. In 1926, the University of Tokyo reached an agreement with Marquis Maeda through which this residence and its property would be given to the University in exchange for University property in Komaba. The University named the residence Kaitokukan and used it as a facility for welcoming distinguished guests. In 1945, as a result of an air raid, the residence was completely destroyed. Kaitokukan was rebuilt in 1951 as a Japanese-style residence. The new Kaitokukan uses stones from the original Western-style residence in its foundation, while wood for the building was supplied by the University’s forests. The garden was designed by Hikoemon Ito, the Maeda Clan’s gardener. The original garden has been partially altered due to wartime damage.