The University of Tokyo Communication Center is the University's base for promoting interactive collaboration between the University and society. The Center produces and sells items that exemplify the University's educational and research activities, as well as small articles featuring the original logo. The building itself was constructed in 1910 as a bookbindery for the library. The library was completely destroyed in the Great Kanto Earthquake, and after the reconstruction of the library the bookbindery was used as a garage. The Center is the second oldest University building behind the former Main Building of Tokyo Medical School, which is currently used as the Koishikawa Annex of the University Museum.