The above picture of the Komaba Campus was taken soon after the First Higher School of Tokyo was moved to the Campus’ location. When the Campus was home to Tokyo Imperial University’s College of Agriculture, the area around where the Main Gate currently stands used to feature an oval-shaped 280-meter track and field stadium, just as the picture shows. This stadium was one of Japan’s most preeminent at the dawn of track and field athletics in the country. Starting in 1920, the Japan Championships in Athletics were held here for four straight years. During the 1924 All-Japan National Junior High School Championship also held at this stadium, Ango Sakaguchi (who would later become a well-known author) got first place in the high jump competition. The Stadium was moved to its current site (the upper part of the picture) due to the relocation of the First Higher School of Tokyo to the Campus. Even after this move, the Stadium continued to be used for a number of major events, including the 1939 Japan Championships in Athletics and as a practicing facility for the 1964 Tokyo Olympic Games. The Komaba Track and Field Stadium maintains a prominent position in furthering the development of sports in Japan.