The Komaba Rose Path’s origins stem from the roses planted in the Komaba Rose Garden, which had been established in 1911. The couple that own the Garden, Masayoshi and Kayo Irisawa, charm rosarians (rose enthusiasts) everywhere with their modest personalities and extensive knowledge of roses. A number of well-known rose varieties such as Nozomi, Fen Zhang Lou, Akebono, Yoru no Shirabe and Kewai became widespread after being planted here. The Garden was split up in 2005, with roses being transplanted or donated to various local entities, including adjacent to the Main Gate of the Komaba Campus. The area around the roses on the Komaba Campus was renovated for the University of Tokyo’s 130th anniversary in 2007, and was then renamed the Komaba Rose Path.