The Lecture Theater was called the Ethics Hall during the time that the Campus was used by the First Higher School of Tokyo (Ichikou). The Ethics Hall’s name originates from the fact that ethics lectures were held here. When facing the podium in the old Hall, one could see a picture of Sugawara no Michizane (emphasizing literature) to the right, and a picture of Sakanoue no Tamuramaro (emphasizing military arts) to the left. The upper portion of the building’s front is decorated with a seal featuring oak leaves, symbolizing the military arts. Matriculation ceremonies were held here with the school flag (Gokoku-ki) raised high, which, along with other events, signified the structure’s status as a spiritual foundation for Ichikou. Construction of the building commenced in August 1937 and was completed in March of the following year.