Type G (G for Graduate)

December 21, 2017

1. Summary

Most Faculties and Graduate Schools of the University of Tokyo (UTokyo) accept exchange students who can register for courses or conduct research under the guidance of faculty members. In the Type G program, exchange students are usually required to possess a high level of fluency in the Japanese/English language so they can take courses for regular students. For those who take part in research activities, the language requirement will be determined on an individual basis depending on whether supervision in English is available in their field of interest.

2. Partner Universities (student exchanges administered by the Division of International Affairs)

 Country/Region Partner University
Asia China Nanjing University
Nankai University
Peking University
Shanghai Jiao Tong University
Tsinghua University
Hong Kong The University of Hong Kong
Indonesia Gadjah Mada University
Malaysia University of Malaya
Philippines University of the Philippines
Republic of Korea Korea University
Pohang University of Science and Technology (POSTECH)
Seoul National University
Yonsei University
Singapore Nanyang Technological University
Taiwan National Chiao Tung University
National Taiwan University
Thailand Chulalongkorn University
Central and South America Brazil University of São Paulo
Chile The Pontifical Catholic University of Chile
The University of Chile
Mexico El Colegio de México
The National Autonomous University of Mexico
North America Canada University of British Columbia
University of Toronto
United States of America Johns Hopkins University
Princeton University
University of Washington
Yale University (Yale Fox International Fellowship Program)
Oceania Australia Monash University
The University of Adelaide
The University of Melbourne
The University of Queensland
The University of Sydney
The University of New South Wales
New Zealand The University of Auckland
University of Otago
Europe Denmark University of Copenhagen
Finland University of Helsinki
France École des hautes études en sciences sociales (EHESS)
École Polytechnique
Institut d'etudes politiques de Paris (SciencesPo)
The Université Grenoble Alpes
University of Strasbourg
Germany Free University of Berlin
Ludwig-Maximilians-University of Munich
University of Cologne
Ireland Trinity College Dublin, University of Dublin
University College Dublin
Netherlands Leiden University
University of Groningen
Russia Saint Petersburg State University
Spain Autonomous University of Madrid
Sweden KTH Royal Institute of Technology
Lund University
Stockholm University
Uppsala University
Switzerland Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Zurich (ETH Zurich)
University of Geneva
United Kingdom Durham University
School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS), University of London
University College London

3. Qualifications



Students satisfying all of the following requirements are eligible to apply:

  1. Students enrolled for the entire period of the program at a Partner University that has concluded a university-wide memorandum for student exchange with UTokyo. Please refer to “2. Partner Universities (exchanges administered by the Division of International Affairs)."
  2. Students who will return to their home university after completing their study or research at UTokyo.
  3. Students demonstrating excellent academic performance.
  4. Students having a clear intention to study or research at UTokyo.
  5. Students having the required language proficiency and meeting other conditions. (For more details, see Prerequisites for USTEP Type G Applicants and check the other conditions.)

Graduate Schools Accepting Exchange Students

  • Graduate Schools for Law and Politics
  • Graduate School of Medicine
  • Graduate School of Engineering
  • Graduate School of Humanities and Sociology
  • Graduate School of Science
  • Graduate School of Agricultural and Life Sciences
  • Graduate School of Economics
  • Graduate School of Arts and Sciences
  • Graduate School of Education
  • Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences
  • Graduate School of Mathematical Sciences
  • Graduate School of Frontier Sciences
  • Graduate School of Information Science and Technology
  • Graduate School of Interdisciplinary Information Studies
  • Graduate School of Public Policy

For details on each Graduate School, please refer to their websites.


Prerequisites for USTEP Type G Applicants

Application requirements vary by Graduate School.
Prerequisites for USTEP Type G Applicants

Note: A supervisor’s approval is required before applying for some Graduate Schools.
How to get supervisor’s pre-approval

Exchange Students' Status

Type G applicants need to select their exchange student status at the Graduate Schools that they apply for: Special Auditors or Special Research Students.
Status Definition Credit awarded
Special Auditor Students registered for courses Yes
Special Research Student Students receiving research guidance No

For detailed requirements and conditions for each status in each Graduate School, please refer to Prerequisites for USTEP Type G Applicants.
Most Graduate Schools accept Special Auditors, and they are expected to enroll in courses offered by the Graduate School to which they belong. In case students wish to register for courses offered by other Graduate School(s), they may be permitted to do so with the approval from both the host Graduate School and the Graduate School offering the course.

Regarding the transfer of credits you earn during your exchange, please contact your home university.
Special Research Students conduct research under the guidance of a faculty member and do not receive credits.

4. Courses


Academic Calendar in AY 2018

Please refer to the AY 2018 Academic Calendar.

The Academic Calendar for AY 2019 will be available around January 2019.

Period of Study /  Research

1 April to March (S1S2 A1A2 (W))
2 September to August (A1A2 (W) S1S2)
3 April to August (S1S2)
4 September to March (A1A2 (W))

Note: W term is optional except at the Graduate School of Agricultural and Life Sciences.

Course Catalogues

Courses available at each Graduate School can be searched for at the following website:

The University of Tokyo Online Course Catalogue

Note: Courses available change annually and the courses currently on the webpage may not be offered in the subsequent year.

Notes for the Special Auditors who wish to register for courses:

  • Japanese immigration law stipulates that international students with “student” visas have to spend at least ten hours in class per week.
  • Special auditors are expected to be enrolled at courses offered by the Graduate School to which they originally belong. However, if it is necessary for students to register for courses offered by other Graduate Schools, they may be permitted to do so provided that the Graduate School offering the course and the host Graduate School approve. Other details shall be as prescribed by the Graduate School concerned.

Global Japan Studies (GJS)

The Global Japan Studies program is designed to instill the knowledge necessary to understand the politics, economics, culture and society of Japan by taking lectures given by prominent faculty members from a variety of specialized fields. The program offers the students an insight into Japanese Studies that ranges from the fundamentals to specialized knowledge of Japan Studies. This course is provided in English, thus giving an opportunity to students whose level of proficiency in Japanese would normally prevent them from taking the normal lectures given in Japanese, to participate and learn topics relating to Japanese society. The program is designed to be completed by students in one year. Students who complete the program will be issued a Certificate of Completion.

Further information about the course is available at the following website: GJS: Global Japan Studies

Japanese Language Education

The Center for Japanese Language Education offers Japanese language classes (General Course). Type G students are eligible to register for these classes. Please note that credits are not awarded for this. Further information about the course is available at the following website: Center for Japanese Language Education

In addition, some Graduate Schools may provide their own Japanese language classes.

Faculty Search

Exchange students who will conduct research under the supervision of a research adviser may use the faculty search system at the following website: Faculty Search
Locating an adviser in the search results does not guarantee that the adviser will be able to supervise the students' research.

Tuition and Fees

Pursuant to the memorandum on student exchange, exchange students are exempt from paying examination fees, admission fees and tuition fees.

5. University Housing

Exchange students may apply for University housing arranged by UTokyo. However, due to the limited number of facilities available, we cannot guarantee that all students who apply for University-managed housing will receive it. The International Exchange Group at UTokyo will contact the students with details of the procedure after their applications to study or research at UTokyo have been approved.

Further information about University housing is available at the following website:
Housing Office

6. Additional Information


Entry to Japan (eligibility to reside in Japan)

Exchange students must have a valid passport during their stay in Japan and there are several protocols to which the students need to adhere, including in principle that all students require a visa providing the status of "College Student" to study at a Japanese university. After their applications to study or research at UTokyo have been approved, the International Exchange Group at UTokyo will provide information about the process for obtaining a Certificate of Eligibility. The students will then need to take the Certificate of Eligibility and other required documents to the nearest Japanese Embassy or Consulate to obtain a College Student visa.


A Japan Student Services Organization (JASSO) Scholarship for all students as well as scholarships from some foundations may be available. For further information, please refer to each link:
A Japan Student Services Organization (JASSO) Scholarship (for all students): application will be provided once students are successfully accepted for USTEP.
Sato Yo International Scholarship Foundation (SISF) (students from Gadjah Mada University, University of the Philippines, University of Malaya, Chulalongkorn University): application will be provided through partner universities.
Please note that the above information is for current students and there will be some changes for prospective students.



  •  It is the exchange students’ own responsibility to be insured for the entire period of their studies or research before leaving their home countries.
  •  National Health Insurance Program
    Exchange students who plan to stay in Japan for more than three months will need to join the National Health Insurance Program. They must complete the required procedures at the city or ward municipal office.
  •  Personal Accident Insurance for Students Pursuing Education and Research "Gakkensai" and the optional "Futai Gakuso"
    "Gakkensai" provides necessary support in the case of accident or injury suffered in the course of activities related to research or education. Exchange students do not need to apply for this insurance as UTokyo enrolls all its students and pays all premiums. "Futai Gakuso" is an optional extra to the “Gakkensai” that can be obtained for a cost (JPY 7,700 for six months). It complements a scope of insurance liability in your life such as compensation responsibility. We strongly recommend that those who will ride bicycles in Japan obtain “Futai Gakuso”.


Inbound Medical Assistance Service (IMAS)

IMAS is the “Inbound Medical Assistance Service” for international students at UTokyo. This is NOT insurance. USTEP students who already have taken out insurance are eligible to sign up for this service.

You can receive the services listed below.
  • Telephone Consultation available 24/7, 365 days a year.
  • Referral to an appropriate hospital.
  • Interpretation service provided over the phone while in the hospital or during transfer to the hospital.
  • Contacting the University if necessary
  • Arrangement of transportation to a medical facility or for transfer to another medical facility in Japan or in one's home country.
  • Contact to and assistance for family in one's home country, etc.

Please see below for further information:
IMAS: Inbound Medical Assistance Service for International Students at UTokyo

7. Application


Application Procedures and Deadlines

Exchange students need to be nominated by their home universities to UTokyo. They must contact the office responsible for university-wide student exchange at their home universities and check the application procedures for UTokyo. All applicants nominated by their home universities to apply to the University of Tokyo will receive from UTokyo the link to access the online application.

Please note that we may reject a student’s application and revoke their qualifications for admission if it becomes apparent that false declaration was made in the application or application is incomplete.

Application Instructions

Application documents

1. Application Form
2. Letter of Reference signed by a professor at your home university and submitted to your exchange coordinator
3. Official Academic Transcript from each college, university or other institution of higher learning attended in PDF format; Original must be submitted after admission*
4. Passport Data
5. Proof of Language Proficiency (Refer to Prerequisites for USTEP Type G Applicants)
6. ID Photo Data:
- Full color; clear, sharp and in focus with minimum reflective light on face
- Taken on plain, light and evenly lit background
- Head straight at the camera without anything covering the face
- Without hats or caps
- File size: Less than 2MB
7. Graduate Schools may require further documents in addition to the above application documents. (e.g. screenshot of e-mail correspondence between the exchange student and a supervisor of UTokyo) See Prerequisites for USTEP Type G Applicants for more information about the additional requirements of each Graduate School.
Note: All documents must be in English or Japanese.
* Do not forget to submit the transcript from your bachelor's degree program.

Deadline for application and its procedure

  • September Admission
    February 28 (April 15 for the Yale Fox International Fellowship Program)
  • April Admission
    September 30

- The deadlines above are for the nominated students’ applications to be submitted online.  Partner universities set their own deadlines for their students.
- Exchange students need to be nominated by the students' home universities. The students need to complete the required procedures at their home universities and then apply through the office responsible for student exchange.

Application result

The result of your application will be available around December (for April Admission) or May (for September Admission). You will receive your result through your exchange coordinator. At the same time, those who are successfully accepted will receive a welcome package from UTokyo directly.


Semester September Admission April Admission
Application period From January 1 to February 28 From August 1 to September 30
Application deadline (Note 1) February 28 September 30
Result announcement May December
Courses start (Note 2) Late September Early April
Courses end (Note 2) Late January (A1A2) or Late July (S1S2)

- The deadline for the Yale Fox International Fellowship Program application is April 15.
- The actual period of study / research (including examination period) varies depending on the Faculty or Graduate School. Please refer to the Academic Calendar.

8. FAQs



Q1. My university is not listed on the USTEP site as a partner university. Can I still apply?
A1. No. UTokyo accepts exchange students from partner universities with which the University has entered into a Memorandum of Understanding concerning university-wide student exchange. Applications to USTEP will be accepted only through the partner universities’ offices responsible for student exchange. Having said that, your university may have School/Faculty-level exchange agreement(s) with UTokyo. Please consult your home institution first.

Letters of reference
Q2. Does my referee have to be a professor whose class(es) I have taken before at my university?
A2. Yes, it must be signed by a professor of your major. Also, additional references are very welcome as long as you provide at least one letter of reference issued by a faculty member at your home university who knows your academic performance.

Language and other requirements
Q3. I am a Type G (graduate) applicant. Are there any language requirements?
A3. Each Graduate School has its own requirements for language proficiency and other conditions depending on your exchange student status, "Special Auditor" or "Special Research Student". For details, please refer to Prerequisites for USTEP Type G Applicants.

Course selection
Q4. I want to see the list of courses for the next year(s) I will be at UTokyo. When will it be available?
A4. Our online course catalog is updated in March.
Q5. I want to receive course selection advice.
A5. You will receive such advice once you are admitted to USTEP, and you can modify your course list before registration.

Q6. I need to earn and transfer certain credits to my home university. How many credits should I register at UTokyo?
A6. At UTokyo, courses worth 2 credits consist of 13 x 105-minute classes. Some Graduate Schools have a minimum number of required credits. Please refer to Prerequisites for USTEP Type G Applicants and consult with your home university to see how those credits would be counted and whether the courses you wish to take would be transferable.

Financial support

Q7. Are there scholarships available for USTEP students? If there are, how do I apply?
A7. Scholarships from other sources, such as the Japan Student Services Organization (JASSO), may be available. For further information, please refer to "Scholarships" in 6. Additional Information.

Student life

Q8. Is university housing guaranteed?
A8. No. Exchange students may apply for university housing. However, because of the limited number of facilities, assignment to university housing is not guaranteed. The International Exchange Group at UTokyo will contact students with details of the procedure after their admission is granted. For further information, please visit our Housing Office website at


Q9. Does UTokyo offer any short-term, non-degree programs held in English?
A9. You will find a list of short-term, non-degree programs offered in English at the following link:

9. Inquiries

Please read our FAQs before sending an email. We are unable to reply to inquiries already addressed in the FAQs.

You can contact the International Exchange Group using the form linked below.
Please include the following information in your message:
[Home university]
[Current year (Type U or G)]
[Planned period of exchange at UTokyo]
[(For Type G) Graduate School you would like to enroll in]

International Exchange Group Contact Form

Related Links