Current Students

Certificates and Related Matters

Student Commuter Certificates

Students who have registered for courses and have official confirmation of a need to commute to a campus more than 2 days a week are eligible to receive a student commuter certificate. This certificate allows a student to purchase a “student commuter pass” which is cheaper than an ordinary commuter pass at a train station office when submitted along with the Student ID. The route has to be between the nearest home station and the station for the campus. The certificate can be obtained during the designated period after the course registration period. We will inform you of the date and location during the USTEP Academic Orientation.
*In some cases, it is better not to purchase a commuter pass depending on your course selection. Please calculate the costs and choose the best option.
**If you commute to both Hongo and Komaba Campuses more than twice per week, you must apply for a second student commuter certificate at the International Education Promotion Group if required. Please be aware that the second certificate will take about a week to be issued.

Student Travel Discount Certificates

When you go on a train trip which is over 100km one-way using JR (Japan Railway), a student travel discount certificate will allow a discount of 20% on a basic fare ticket when you purchase the ticket at a JR ticket office with your student ID. (Express tickets are not eligible for a discount.) The travel discount certificate can be obtained from the International Education Promotion Group. Opening Hours: Weekdays 10AM to 4 PM
*Please note that USTEP students are not able to have the above certificate issued through automatic certificate-issuing machines.

Certificates of Enrollment

Certificates of Enrollment are available while your status as a student of UTokyo is valid, and may be obtained using one of the automatic issuing machines.
・Map showing locations of automatic issuing machines is available here
・Instructions on how to use the automatic issuing machines are available here

Academic Transcripts

Two copies of your academic transcripts will be sent to your home university after you finish the program, one for your record and the other for your home university. Please receive your record from your home university. The transcripts will be sent around late September for students who complete the exchange program in S Semester, and around late April for students who complete the exchange program in A Semester.
If students who have already completed the exchange period need academic transcripts in addition to the above two copies, please follow the instructions below and apply accordingly.
(1) Submit via email  “Application for Issuance of Transcripts” (download the excel file).  Also send via email a copy of the ID page of your passport to the International Education Promotion Group  (
*Requests by phone or fax are not accepted.
*Due to a university policy, a digital copy of transcript cannot be sent by email.
*UTokyo is not responsible for any accidents during the mail delivery.
(2) Once you have received an email acknowledgement of receipt of your application from the International Education Promotion Group, please send us the following item, depending on the delivery method you chose.
For EMS, send us the International Reply Coupons (IRCs) for the required amount (IRCs are available at most post offices all over the world) to the International Education Promotion Group by post.
*IRC may not be available in some countries.
*Please check below for the cost of IRCs.
For UPS / FedEx / DHL, send us the shipping slip of UPS / FedEx / DHL by PDF. 
You are required to open the account with them, and the shipping payment will be charged on your credit card. Please note the shipping cost will differ from EMS. 
For EMS, send IRCs to: For UPS / FedEx / DHL, set the Pick-up destination as below:
International Education Promotion Group,
Education and Student Support Department,
The University of Tokyo
7-3-1 Hongo, Bunkyo-ku,
Tokyo 113-0033 JAPAN
Tel: +81-3-5841-3052
(3) It will take about one week to issue your transcript(s) after we receive your application.
For EMS, it will take 1 to 2 weeks for the certificate to reach you after the issuance of your transcript(s). For UPS / FedEx / DHL, it will take 5 days or less for the certificate to reach you after the issuance of your transcript(s).
*The number of days it will take to receive your certificate depends on the area in which you live and the method of delivery. Please be sure to apply well in advance.
International Reply Coupons (IRCs)
An IRC is equivalent to 130 yen.
For your reference, the following shipping charges will apply for packages up to 500g when using Express Mail Service (note the charges are subject to change).
  • China, South Korea, and Taiwan: JPY 1,450(=12 IRCs needed)
  • Asia (exc China, South Korea, and Taiwan): JPY 1,900 (=15 IRCs needed)
  • Oceania, Canada, Mexico, Europe, and Middle East: JPY 3,150 (=25 IRCs needed)
  • United States: JPY 3,900 (=30 IRCs needed)
  • South America (exc Mexico), and Africa: JPY 3,600 (=28 IRCs needed)
Inquiries about the content of this page: International Education Promotion GroupSend inquiry
Access Map
Kashiwa Campus
Hongo Campus
Komaba Campus