Prospective Students
Home > Prospective Students > Undergraduate Students > Admissions > Japanese Government (Monbukagakusho: MEXT) Scholarship and Other Programs

Japanese Government (Monbukagakusho: MEXT) Scholarship and Other Programs

1. Japanese Government (Monbukagakusho (MEXT)) Scholarship

This is a program through which students are able to study at a Japanese university with a scholarship from the Japanese government,
specifically the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (Monbukagakusho (MEXT)).
As of May 1, 2017, 777 of UTokyo's international students have been awarded a Japanese Government Scholarship.
For details, be sure to refer to the Application Guideline corresponding to the year for which you are applying.

Information on the MEXT Scholarship (Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology of Japan)
(Mostly in Japanese / Application Guidelines also available in English)

STUDY IN JAPAN (Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan: MOFA)

Outline of MEXT Scholarship (As of April, 2017)

Enrollment Tuition Traveling
Monthly stipend
 *The amount is subject to change depending on the
   annual budget of MEXT.
  *Students who study in certain designated areas will
   be provided an additional monthly stipend of
  2,000JPY or 3,000JPY.
Spring or
exempted one round-trip
ticket is
Spring 117,000JPY

*UTokyo accepts students as "Research students" and "Undergraduate students," which are two of the 7 categories of 
  MEXT Scholarship students (Research student, Young Leaders' Program student, Teacher training student,
 Undergraduate student, Japanese studies student, College of technology student, Special training college student).

Research student: Master's, Doctorate and Professional Degree Programs (regular graduate student) or graduate international research student.

Undergraduate student: regular undergraduate student

*Each undergraduate student will be enrolled at a preparatory school designated by MEXT for a one-year intensive course in the Japanese language and other subjects necessary for preparation for proceeding to university.
  The preparatory course lasts for one year. A grantee who has completed the preparatory education will go on to a university designated by MEXT upon passing its entrance examination.
  The university whose examination a grantee will take is decided by MEXT in consultation with the university and the preparatory school and in comprehensive consideration of the results of the academic examinations in the primary screening held in his/her home country, academic achievement at the preparatory school, the grantee's proposed major subject, and the receiving capacity of the university. Therefore, please note that applicants who wish to enter UTokyo may not necessarily be able to take the entrance examinations for UTokyo.

[Application Method]
Both of the 2 types below should be applied for before coming to Japan.

*Embassy Recommendation
Applications for this category are made directly through Japanese embassies or consular offices outside Japan.
Scholarship recipients are recruited and initially screened by the Japanese embassy (or consulate general, depending on the country).

*University Recommendation
For this category, UTokyo selects and recommends research students directly to MEXT as candidates for the Japanese government scholarship. The majority of applicants will be international students on inter-university student exchange agreements.

*Traveling expenses or scholarships will not be granted unless the requirement are satisfied.

*When proceeding to upper degree courses, students may have their scholarship period extended upon a successful examination by MEXT, provided that they have shown outstanding academic achievement that meets certain criteria. The scholarship will be discontinued if approval is not granted.


*Embassy Recommendation
Because the application process differs according to the country in which the Japanese embassy is located,
please inquire at the Japanese embassy or consulate general in your country for details.

Japanese Embassies and Consular Offices (MOFA)

Applicants who have passed the preliminary examination conducted by their Japanese embassy or consular office and wish to enroll in UTokyo are required to contact the appropriate Graduate School concerned, to confirm the conditions and documentation needed to submit an application as the conditions vary depending on the Graduate School. Please use links below for contact details of the Graduate Schools of UTokyo.

*Applicants should contact the Graduate School of their choice ONLY after they have passed the preliminary screening at the embassy of consular office.

*If you require an acceptance letter, please contact the department office in the contact information below (not the professor):

Link to "Contact Information of Graduate School"
Link to "Special Notes for Applicants"

*University Recommendation
Since the period of application varies depending on the Graduate School, please contact the relevant department in the Graduate School of your choice.

List of Graduate Schools


2. Interchange Association Scholarship

For more information and details on how to apply, please refer to the following website:

3. Japan-Korea Joint Scholarship Program for Science and Engineering Students

Inquiries about the content of this page: International Support GroupSend inquiry
Access Map
Kashiwa Campus
Hongo Campus
Komaba Campus