- Enrollment at the University of Tokyo as an undergraduate, graduate or research student; also prospective students to enroll into the University of Tokyo who require the guarantor service in order to commute to campus before school starts.
* Researchers / post docs are not eligible for the system.
- Must be in possession of the status of residence "College Student"
- Enrollment in the designated insurance (Comprehensive Renters' Insurance for Foreign Students Studying in Japan)
- The only people you can share housing with are your spouse, child, or other international students of the University of Tokyo who fulfill requirements 1-3 above.
Please confirm that you have prepared all documents listed on the checklist of required documentation.
Application forms can be downloaded from the following links:
- Download Application for Guarantor
- Download Guarantee of Tenancy (賃貸住宅入居保証書)
- Download Document for the Landlord or Real Estate Agency (東京大学留学生住宅機関保証制度のご案内[家主・不動産業者向け])
- Download Document for International Students （東京大学留学生住宅機関保証制度のご案内「留学生向け」）
- Download Written Oath (for flat sharing only)
- Download Letter Requesting Guarantor Cover Before Enrollment at the University of Tokyo (Only if you cannot submit Admission Permit/Acceptance Letter)
- Download Letter of Proxy **1
STEP 1 － Apply at the International Support Group (ISG), or download the required documents listed on this page and proceed to STEP 2.
- If applying at the ISG, submit a copy of your student ID and Resident Card (both sides) and receive the package of forms necessary for completing the subsequent procedures.
- Hand the Document for the Landlord or Real Estate Agent (東京大学留学生住宅機関保証制度のご案内[家主・不動産業者向け]) and the two Guarantee of Tenancy (賃貸住宅入居保証書) sheets to the landlord or real estate agent, and ask them to sign and seal at the bottom of the Guarantee of Tenancy after filling in the necessary items.
STEP 2 － Submit a copy of the lease contract (templates are acceptable) and the Guarantee of Tenancy to ISG
- Receive a copy of the lease contract and the two Guarantee of Tenancy sheets (including the agent’s seal) from the landlord or real estate agent, and submit them to the ISG office with the other required documents.
- Receive a payment slip from the office and pay the insurance premium (¥8,000 for two years; ¥4,000 for one year) at a Lawson convenience store and be sure to keep the payment receipt.*Keep in mind that the Guarantee will be returned to you three business days after you submit the above documents.
STEP 3 － Receive the Guarantee of Tenancy from ISG
(3 days after STEP 2, excluding Saturdays, Sundays and holidays)
- Submit the payment receipt to ISG and complete the insurance enrollment procedure to receive your policy holder certificate.
- Receive the two Guarantee of Tenancy sheets (including the guarantor’s seal) and take them to the landlord or real estate agent.
STEP 4 － Submit a copy of the signed lease contract and the Guarantee of Tenancy
(including the landlord’s seal) to ISG after the signing the contract.
[Note] You will not be able to reside in the apartment until after passing STEP 3 and completing the contract with the landlord or real estate agent.
- The University of Tokyo is not able to act as a guarantor for those who have graduated or withdrawn from the University and are no longer students of the University, so please find an alternative guarantor. Also, please do not forget to inform the International Support Group of such changes to your status by submitting Notice of Lease Termination from the link below. Please submit the Notice when you move to another apartment, you move out of your apartment, your lose your status of "college student".
- Notice of Lease Termination
- **1) The UTokyo guarantor service procedures involve your personal information like your lease contract and other information of the renter. Therefore it is required that the renter himself/herself come to our office and do the procedure for security reasons. However if the renter has a legitimate reason not to be able to come to the office physically, we shall receive an application from a third person with a letter of proxy with the renter's signature on it. The third person has to be someone who is affiliated with the University of Tokyo.
- Useful Tips for Finding Housing in Japan
- Comprehensive Renters’ Insurance for Foreign Students Studying in Japan (Japan Educational Exchanges and Services)
International Support Group