Note: Students receiving a scholarship from the Japanese government (Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology) do not need to pay tuition and certain other fees.
・ Notice of tuition fee payment (first payment term: April - September 2021) (PDF)
・ Notice of tuition fee payment (second payment term: October 2020 - March 2021) (PDF)
|Student Category||Undergraduate||Graduate (excl. School of Law)||School of Law|
|Master's/Professional||Doctoral/PhD in Medicine or Veterinary Science|
|Tuition fee (annual)||¥535,800||¥535,800||¥520,800||¥804,000|
|Examination fee||1st stage||¥4,000||¥30,000||¥30,000||¥7,000|
|Student Category||Research Student||Auditing Student|
|Tuition fee||Monthly: ¥28,900 / Annual: ¥346,800||¥14,800 per credit|
1. Payment Periods
Tuition payments are made in 6-month amounts twice a year: in May for the first half (April-September) and in November for the second half (October-March).
※Tuition payments for autumn entrants enrolled at the University in or before September 2018 are as follows:
(1) For the year of entry, payment in November will be for the first seven months (September-March).
(2) For the graduating year, payment in May will be for the last five months (April-August).
(3) For the other years not covered by (1) or (2), payments in May and November will be for six months each.
2. Payment Method (Automatic Bank Account Withdrawal)
• Payments will be deducted automatically from the bank account that you registered using the Tuition Deposit Account Withdrawal Request Form.
(To register, click the button below.)
• Tuition fees will be withdrawn from your account on May 27 for the first half and November 27 for the second half (or the next business day if the payment date falls on a non-business day for financial institutions).
• Please be sure to deposit an amount equal to the tuition payment in the relevant account at least one day prior to the withdrawal date.
For questions regarding tuition other than the payment method, please contact your Faculty or Graduate School.
* You can register and also change existing account information through the above page.
* To change your account information, register for a new account.
(Your existing account information will be automatically overwritten by the new information.)
* Please complete registering or changing your account information no later than the last day of the month prior to the scheduled withdrawal date.
<Contact for Payment Inquiries>
Income and Liability Team, Accounting Group, Financial Department (2F Administration Bureau)
Exemptions of Admission & Tuition Fee for the First Half of 2021
・Application Procedure for 2021, Admission / Tuition Fee Exemption
・Notice for Submission of Missing Documents
Exemption of Admission Fee
Students (excluding research students and auditing students) entering the University to whom any of the following applies:
a) Students who have difficulties in paying admission fees due to economic reasons and who are recognized as having outstanding academic capabilities (graduate students only.)
b) Students who are recognized as having extreme difficulties in paying the admission fees due to either of the following reasons:
- The death of the persons responsible for the payment of their school expenses occurring one year or less prior to admission.
- Damages sustained by students or persons responsible for the payment of their school expenses caused by wind, flood or other natural disasters occurring one year or less prior to admission.
Exemption of Tuition Fee
Undergraduate or graduate students (excluding research students and auditing students) to whom any one of the following applies:
a) Students who have difficulties in paying tuition due to economic reasons and who are recognized as having outstanding academic capabilities.
b) Students who are recognized as having extreme difficulties in paying tuition due to the following reason:
・Damages sustained by students or the persons responsible for the payment of their school expenses caused by wind, flood or other natural disasters.
c) Students who are recognized as having other unavoidable circumstances.
2. Application Forms
List of main required documents
|・||Copy of Student-ID or admission letter|
|・||Envelope sheet for mailing application[PDF 129KB]
Hongo Campus -The Scholarship Team of the Student Scholarship and Welfare Group (All departments except the three departments below)
Komaba Campus -Scholarship Fund Section, Student Affairs Division at the College of Arts and Sciences (Only for students who entered the College of Arts and Sciences / Graduate School of Arts and Sciences / Graduate School of Mathematical Sciences)
|・||Application Form and Receipt for Admission&Tuition Fee Exemption - AY2021[PDF 214KB]|
|・||Statement (Certification) Regarding Part-time Work (Form1)[PDF 73KB]|
|・||Record of Household Finances (Form2)[PDF 67KB]|
|・||Return envelope for application receipt（Self-addressed envelope with a JPY 84 stamp, size of 120mm*235mm)|
|・||※Only if you are enrolled beyond the standard program duration
Reason for extending beyond the standard course period (Form8)[XLS 37KB]
Other required documents
There are other cases in which you need to submit other documents additionally. Please make sure to check here.[PDF 81KB]
How to obtain the other application forms → Please download the application forms from here.
- The Guideline for application form [PDF 583KB]
- How to complete "Statement (Certification) Regarding Part-time Work" [PDF 110KB]
- How to complete "Record of Household Finances" [PDF 79KB]
1. For applicants outside Japan, please ask someone in Japan to act as a domestic proxy to submit your application in your place during the application period.
In that case, please make sure that the proxy attaches his/her identification and a proxy letter (with your signature).
We cannot accept the application documents directly from overseas.
2. Once the application is submitted, the payment of the relevant fee will be deferred until the results are determined. Please note that eligibility will be revoked if an applicant pays them before the results are determined.
3. Applicants who submitted applications for both the first and second half of 2021 during the application period for the first half do not have to apply for the second half again.
However, students to whom any of the following conditions apply must resubmit their applications during the period for the second half.
- Cases in which the information (family, study or household budget) provided in the application on April 1 has changed by October 1.
- Cases where students have changed programs in October.
(example: cases where the applicant completes the Master's program in September, and enters the Doctorate program in October)
- Cases where students were expected to graduate or complete the program but are still enrolled beyond the program duration.
4. In the case that applications for both the first and second half are submitted together, selection results will be determined for each half separately. Therefore, even if the application or exemption is approved, the result for the second half will not necessarily be the same. Please confirm the selection result for the second half as well.
5. Applicants who are suddenly facing financial difficulties due to the spread of the novel coronavirus / COVID-19, please check this link. If you are eligible, you are able to submit this form.
6. If you want to withdraw your application, please sign in with your UTokyo Account and fill out this form .
4. Deferred Payment of Admission and Tuition Fees
Once the application is submitted, the payment of the relevant fee will be deferred until the results are determined (by the end of July).
If you need more deferment, please contact us by email.
5. Contact information ※We are not in charge of inquiries regarding normal payment of admission and tuition fees. This office is in charge of exemption work only.
|All departments except the three departments below||The Scholarship Team of the Student Scholarship and Welfare Group (Admission and Tuition fee exemption team)
•College of Arts and Sciences
|Scholarship Fund Section, Student Affairs Division at the College of Arts and Science Komaba Campus, Administration Building 1st Floor, Counter #7