(Updated October 8, 2022）
The application period for the admission fee and tuition fee exemption and deferred payment for the second half of the 2022 academic year has ended.
The results will be released around the middle of January.
Exemptions of Admission & Tuition Fee for the Second Half of 2022
Exemption of Admission Fee
Students (excluding research students and auditing students) entering the University to whom any of the following applies:
a) Students who have difficulties in paying admission fees due to economic reasons and who are recognized as having outstanding academic capabilities (graduate students only.)
b) Students who are recognized as having extreme difficulties in paying the admission fees due to either of the following reasons:
- The death of the persons responsible for the payment of their school expenses occurring one year or less prior to admission.
- Damages sustained by students or persons responsible for the payment of their school expenses caused by wind, flood or other natural disasters occurring one year or less prior to admission.
Exemption of Tuition Fee
Undergraduate or graduate students (excluding research students and auditing students) to whom any one of the following applies:
a) Students who have difficulties in paying tuition due to economic reasons and who are recognized as having outstanding academic capabilities.
b) Students who are recognized as having extreme difficulties in paying tuition due to the following reason:
・Damages sustained by students or the persons responsible for the payment of their school expenses caused by wind, flood or other natural disasters.
c) Students who are recognized as having other unavoidable circumstances.
2. Application Forms
・Application Procedure for 2022, Admission / Tuition Fee Exemption[PDF 115KB]
・Notice for Submission of Missing Documents[PDF 86KB]
・Frequently Asked Questions [PDF 585KB]
List of main required documents
Other required documents
There are other cases in which you need to submit other documents additionally. Please make sure to check here. [PDF 82KB]
How to obtain the other application forms → Please download the application forms from here.
1. For applicants outside Japan, please ask someone in Japan to act as a domestic proxy to submit your application in your place during the application period.
In that case, please make sure that the proxy attaches his/her identification and a proxy letter (with your signature).
We cannot accept the application documents directly from overseas.
2. Once the application is submitted, the payment of the relevant fee will be deferred until the results are determined. Please note that eligibility will be revoked if an applicant pays them before the results are determined.
3. Applicants who applied for both the first and second half of 2022 during the application period for the first half do not have to apply for the second half again.
However, students to whom any of the following conditions apply must resubmit their applications during the period for the second half.
- Cases in which the information (family, study or household budget) provided in the application on April 1 has changed by October 1.
- Cases where students have changed programs in October.
(example: cases where the applicant completes the Master's program in September, and enters the Doctorate program in October, cases where the applicant completes the Junior Division in September, and enters the Senior Division in October)
- Cases where students were expected to graduate or complete the program but are still enrolled beyond the program duration.
4. In the case that applications for both the first and second half are submitted together, selection results will be determined for each half separately. Therefore, even if the application or exemption is approved, the result for the second half will not necessarily be the same. Please confirm the selection result for the second half as well.
5. Applicants who are suddenly facing financial difficulties due to the spread of the novel coronavirus / COVID-19, please check this link. If you are eligible, you are able to submit this form.
6. If you want to withdraw your application, please sign in with your UTokyo Account and fill out this form.
7. If you want to continue your tuition fee exemption, you must apply each academic year. Please note that the results of the application for this academic year will not be automatically carried over to the following academic year.
Those who wish to receive tuition fee exemption for the next academic year (April 2023 – March 2024) must reapply.
4. Deferred Payment of Admission and Tuition Fees*The application period for deferred payment has ended. Please note that applications for deferred payment cannot be accepted after notification of the results of the exemption.
Once the application is submitted, the payment of the relevant fee will be deferred until the results are determined (by the middle of January).
If you need more deferment, you may additionally apply for deferment of admission/tuition fee payment.
If you wish to apply, please contact us at the contact information below.
5. Contact informationPlease include your name, student ID number (if you are a current student), graduate school and program (undergraduate, graduate, doctoral, or professional)
in the body of your email inquiry.
Before contacting the University, please view the Frequently Asked Questions and FAQ for exemption pages to see if there is an answer to your inquiry.
If your question pertains to a particular program/department, please contact that program/department directly.
* For questions regarding the payment method of the tuition fee, please contact Income and Liability Team.
* For questions regarding admission/tuition fee other than the payment method, please contact your Faculty or Graduate School.
*Please be sure to include the applicant information in your email, otherwise you will not receive a response.
You can cut and paste the inquiry template below into your email.
■ Applicant information (required)
Faculty / Graduate School (as of October 1):
Course: Undergraduate/ Master's/ Doctoral/ Professional
Student ID number (8 digits): (If you do not know your student ID number before admission / advancement, leave it blank)
■ Inquiry content
|All departments except the three departments below||
Tuition Fee Exemption Team, the Student Scholarship and Welfare Group
Only for students who entered the following College and Graduate Schools
•College of Arts and Sciences
|Scholarship Fund Section, Student Affairs Division at the College of Arts and Science Komaba Campus, Administration Building 1st Floor, Counter #7