Exemptions of Admission & Tuition Fee for the Second Half of 2021
・Application Procedure for 2021, Admission / Tuition Fee Exemption
・Notice for Submission of Missing Documents
Exemption of Admission Fee
Students (excluding research students and auditing students) entering the University to whom any of the following applies:
a) Students who have difficulties in paying admission fees due to economic reasons and who are recognized as having outstanding academic capabilities (graduate students only.)
b) Students who are recognized as having extreme difficulties in paying the admission fees due to either of the following reasons:
- The death of the persons responsible for the payment of their school expenses occurring one year or less prior to admission.
- Damages sustained by students or persons responsible for the payment of their school expenses caused by wind, flood or other natural disasters occurring one year or less prior to admission.
Exemption of Tuition Fee
Undergraduate or graduate students (excluding research students and auditing students) to whom any one of the following applies:
a) Students who have difficulties in paying tuition due to economic reasons and who are recognized as having outstanding academic capabilities.
b) Students who are recognized as having extreme difficulties in paying tuition due to the following reason:
・Damages sustained by students or the persons responsible for the payment of their school expenses caused by wind, flood or other natural disasters.
c) Students who are recognized as having other unavoidable circumstances.
2. Application Forms
List of main required documents
|・||Checklist [PDF 209KB]|
|・||Copy of Student-ID or admission letter|
|・||Envelope sheet for mailing application [PDF 211KB]
Hongo Campus -The Scholarship Team of the Student Scholarship and Welfare Group (All departments except the three departments below)
Komaba Campus -Scholarship Fund Section, Student Affairs Division at the College of Arts and Sciences (Only for students who entered the College of Arts and Sciences / Graduate School of Arts and Sciences / Graduate School of Mathematical Sciences)
|・||Application Form and Receipt for Admission&Tuition Fee Exemption - AY2021 [PDF 221KB]|
|・||Statement (Certification) Regarding Part-time Work (Form1) [PDF 73KB]|
|・||Record of Household Finances (Form2) [PDF 59KB]|
|・||Return envelope for application receipt（Self-addressed envelope with a JPY 84 stamp, size of 120mm*235mm)|
|・||※Only if you are enrolled beyond the standard program duration
Reason for extending beyond the standard course period (Form8)[XLS 38KB]
Other required documents
There are other cases in which you need to submit other documents additionally. Please make sure to check here. [PDF 81KB]
How to obtain the other application forms → Please download the application forms from here.
- The Guideline for application form [PDF 540KB]
- How to complete "Statement (Certification) Regarding Part-time Work" [PDF 110KB]
- How to complete "Record of Household Finances" [PDF 74KB]
1. For applicants outside Japan, please ask someone in Japan to act as a domestic proxy to submit your application in your place during the application period.
In that case, please make sure that the proxy attaches his/her identification and a proxy letter (with your signature).
We cannot accept the application documents directly from overseas.
2. Once the application is submitted, the payment of the relevant fee will be deferred until the results are determined. Please note that eligibility will be revoked if an applicant pays them before the results are determined.
3. Applicants who submitted applications for both the first and second half of 2021 during the application period for the first half do not have to apply for the second half again.
However, students to whom any of the following conditions apply must resubmit their applications during the period for the second half.
- Cases in which the information (family, study or household budget) provided in the application on April 1 has changed by October 1.
- Cases where students have changed programs in October.
(example: cases where the applicant completes the Master's program in September, and enters the Doctorate program in October, cases where the applicant completes the Junior Division in September, and enters the Senior Division in October)
- Cases where students were expected to graduate or complete the program but are still enrolled beyond the program duration.
4. In the case that applications for both the first and second half are submitted together, selection results will be determined for each half separately. Therefore, even if the application or exemption is approved, the result for the second half will not necessarily be the same. Please confirm the selection result for the second half as well.
5. Applicants who are suddenly facing financial difficulties due to the spread of the novel coronavirus / COVID-19, please check this link. If you are eligible, you are able to submit this form.
6. If you want to withdraw your application, please sign in with your UTokyo Account and fill out this form.
4. Deferred Payment of Admission and Tuition Fees
Once the application is submitted, the payment of the relevant fee will be deferred until the results are determined (by the middle of January).
If you need more deferment, please contact us at the following address. (The application period for the second half has ended.)
5. Contact information
※We are not in charge of inquiries regarding normal payment of admission and tuition fees. This office is in charge of exemption work only.
|All departments except the three departments below||The Scholarship Team of the Student Scholarship and Welfare Group (Admission and Tuition fee exemption team)
•College of Arts and Sciences
|Scholarship Fund Section, Student Affairs Division at the College of Arts and Science Komaba Campus, Administration Building 1st Floor, Counter #7