This short-term program, usually held in the spring, is offered by the Insitut d’etudes politiques de Paris, commonly referred to as Sciences Po, one of Europe’s most prestigious academic institutions. Sciences Po is offering this program in a special online format for 2021.
A one-month tailor made program taught in English by Sciences Po academics. Classes will cover the history, politics, law and economics of the EU, and will include such topics as the political system and institutional functioning of the EU, the economics of integration, monetary and fiscal policies, identity and migration issues, and the European economies since the global financial crisis. While the Covid-19 pandemic may prevent students from traveling internationally, Sciences Po is committed to providing a complete online learning experience for international students. In addition to the same rigorous academics students can expect from Sciences Po, the European Studies Program will allow participants to engage with other Sciences Po students, to participate in conferences with Sciences Po researchers and high-level guests, and to discover French cultural sites.
This is a program provided specifically for students from Sciences Po’s Japanese partner universities, therefore, all the participants will be students from Japanese universities. The capacity of the program for UTokyo is 20 students. For further details, please see below as well as the separate document, "Overview".
European Studies Program - 2021 Online Program
February 15, 2021 - March 12, 2021
From approximately 4:00 PM to 6:00 PM (Japan Standard Time) on weekdays
Online (real time Zoom event)
Maximum of 20 students (If the number of applications reach or exceed the maximum number, participants will be selected thorough an internal selection process.)
Tuition Fees: EUR 1,800
・Students are responsible for covering the cost of their own fees for tuition and participation. (Refer to the “Overview” for further details.)
・Payment of the tuition fees should be completed according to the deadline specified by Sciences Po. As written in the “Overview” by Sciences Po, students should note that no withdrawal can be accepted once their “REGISTRATION FORM” has been received by Sciences Po and students are accepted to the program, with the exception for serious medical reasons. Please refer to the “Overview” for the cancelation policy. (Applicants who apply for the program by the deadline will be required to submit the “REGISTRATION FORM” which will be sent to the applicants later.)
[Eligibility Criteria and Requirements]
(1) Students must fulfill the requirements below, set forth by Sciences Po:
・To be enrolled in one of Sciences Po’s Japanese partner universities;
・To have a good level of English (TOEFL IBT 87, IELTS 6, TOEIC 740);
・To have a background in Social Sciences: History, Economics, Sociology, International relations, Law.
* This program is not an English-language program—the courses and discussions will be conducted in English. In principle, the necessary English language proficiency is TOEFL iBT 87 or IELTS 6.
(2) Applicants must be students who are enrolled as full-time undergraduate or graduate students of the University during the period of application and the study abroad program. (Those who are on temporary leave from the University during this time cannot participate.)
(3) Before applying, applicants must make sure that the program does not interfere with their courses by checking the examination date and other important scheduled class events at UTokyo as well as their personal schedules since no consideration may be made for attending the program and may make study plan on its own responsibility.
(4) Students must submit a report (A4 size, in a free format) to the International Exchange Group after completing the program.
12 noon of Monday, 9 November 2020
Applicants must send the following information by email, with a copy of document certifying language proficiency (TOEFL iBT, IELTS, TOEIC) attached, to the International Exchange Group by 12 noon of Monday, 9 November 2020.
(1) Full name and both English alphabet and Japanese (Kanji or Katakana)
(2) Faculty/college/graduate school, year and student ID number
(3) E-mail address that will be used for communication with Sciences Po
(4) Confirm that you understand the eligibility, cancelation policy, etc. by reading the “Overview” carefully
Email: International Exchange Group
Subject: Application for Sciences Po European Studies Program- 2021 Online Program
Reports of past participants are available in the past students’ reports page. Please note that this program in its special online format is being offered for the first time in 2021 and there are no reports on the online program available.